Blogs > Community Commentary

Featuring the Morning Sun's community editorial board . . .

Friday, April 16, 2010

THIS POSITIVE THINKING STUFF IS TOUGH!

16-Apr-10

THIS POSITIVE THINKING STUFF IS TOUGH!

When THE MORNING SUN suggested that members of THE MORNING SUN EDITORIAL BOARD become “bloggers”, I made a decision. I was certain that the more serious and scholarly members of the board would handle the “heavy stuff”, the serious stuff. So I felt it is my duty to attempt to keep it light. I’m finding it tough.

Living in Alma, I’m finding more and more serious things happening. Certainly the prospect of having an energy park, which has been a proposed project for some time now is a positive thing. But there are many negatives.

As we all know, the once highly industrialized community no longer has much industry. Again, as we all know, the economy is terrible. Unemployment is the highest that any of the older generation can recall, and yet the “city fathers” keep spending as though all is fine with the comment that we are in better shape than many other communities.

When you question some of the expenses, it is stated that much of this money is from “grants”. Now I may be wrong, but I believe government grants are still TAX MONEY and in most cases must be matched, or partially matched, with local funds.

I have been told that I am against progress. That’s not really true. What I’m against is spending unnecessarily in times such as these. If we can’t afford something at home, we have to go without.

Oh well. I did see a bumper sticker on my walk today. It stated: Everyone complains about the cost of living – but living is still very popular.

I also think my blog on Oreo Cookie Cows should be examined. The “baby cows” are really cute!

Bert

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Marvin said...

Bert, there are a lot of things to be proud and postitive about. I agree that it is hard but it is all a mindset that you have to work at. As I hear so frequently over the PA systems in our schools at the end of inspirational messages to our children, "...Make it a great day - The choice is yours."

When I visit classrooms all around the MP School district to fix technical issues, I never tire of seeing and listening to our students and the delivery of lessons to them by teachers. I feel encouraged about our future - they make me smile.

My monthly statement that has been so dreadful for a few years now, is now a very positive and exciting thing to read! Things seem to be turning around and that is a serious light at the end of the tunnel and gives me hope that I might be able to retire some day!

Look in your own backyard Bert. I am still a very proud supporter of Alma College and see that as a bright spot in Alma with record enrolments for the last couple years. I've spent much time on CMU's campus and Hope Colleges' campus and I see very obvious differences in the demeanor and respect towards visitors (my wife and myself) and the students who attend Alma College. We noticed it immediately! Although temporary, they are Alma citizens and offer positive things for the area, but you need to notice.

Lastly, I do think that we are all guilty of back seat driving. We read about something our local municipalities are doing and think that we know better what needs to be done. Just yesterday I read a SoundOff from a caller who believes that the operation of an out-county CRDL library should considerably less than the estimated cost of $43K. I laughed when I read that because I can only imagine to run an operation liek that at only $43K is prettyy frugal. I mean there is going to be a number of staff memebers who need to be paid. You have all of the utilities including Internet connections and the cost of the main library buying new books and then constantly picking up and delivering books/media.

My point is, we should all try to trust our leaders decisions, at least to a point. Obviously there are times taht we shpould all question, but the day to day negative minutia is not productive for anyone. Most of ther time, they actually know what they're doing. ;-)

Good luck with your task Bert.

PS. Money is not the only way to measure positivity, especially in todays climate.

Dan

April 16, 2010 at 9:29 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home